Thursday, January 16, 2014

MaTh activity Thursday: Kindergarten--Counting up (starting with numbers other than 1) activity with a number line

For today's link up for Math activity Thursday: Kindergarten I thought of an activity that goes with CCSS K.CC.A.2 : Count forward beginning from a given number within the known sequence (instead of having to begin at 1).

One of my favorite ways to practice this is by using a number line.  I think even three and four year olds can have fun with it.

Supplies needed are a number line (in my teacher store I have a Lilly pad number line for $3 if you wanted a fun one to use), 20 cards with the numbers 1-20, and a marker of some sort to go to the point on the number line (I use a frog with my lilly pad number line).

Simply pick a card and start counting up.  If you want you can practice counting down as well : )

You can play as long as you want and take turns.  You can even practice skip counting too!
Kids Math Teacher Math activity Thursday--Kindergarten
What are your Kinders doing with math this time of year?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...